05 July 2008

Doin's

Wow...so long without a post! You all must have thought I had fallen off the earth or something. Well I haven't. It's just been quiet here. Only a few things to report in almost a month.
My 1SG (read first sergeant) put a good foot forward for me and got me to a SSG (read staff sergeant) promotion board. So I went before a panel of 5 1SG's and the SGM (read sergeant major) while they grilled me and two other sergeants on all things Army. What a worrisome event. So much pressure and tension. It is actually supposed to be that way though. They want to see how young sergeants will react under intense pressure, direct scrutiny, and stress. I was able to achieve a passing score of 147 out of 150. I am happy that it is over though...it was my last one, ever and I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. The night before I could hardly sleep as my mind coursed with the NCO Creed, Troop Leading Procedures, and so on, from a list of at least 15 subjects, all of which have such a breadth material to study it is difficult to even study it all let alone really know the material. I am so glad that is over.
We (the Dixie Land Band) have had a few gigs here and there at the chow halls mostly but they have been wicked fun. Hopefully playing in the chow halls will give us the exposure to have people invite us to where they work to play for them in a more personal setting. It is fun to play for people who really appreciate it. A lot of people could care less that it is Dixie Land music, which they would most likely never listen to at home. They care that where ever they go they have a chance to hear good live music. Yes there are some that, even though the Dixie Band is playing, will call out "play Freebird", but for the most part people are quite appreciative. We are working on a Dixie arrangement of Freebird by the way...gotta please the audience!
Sandy can confirm that I have had a general feeling of being called to ministry, as she has had a feeling of needing to support me in ministry. Lately, Chaplain Jones and I have developed a pretty good relationship. I have voiced my heart for ministry, specifically Men’s ministries, to him. His face lit up. He told me that the Army has a Chaplain Candidacy program that will help me finish a masters degree and then place me immediately as a 1LT Chaplain. I was hesitant to consider this because I have just barely finished a transition to the Army Band. My heart cries out to play my saxophone everyday. I love it so thoroughly and would be content to stay in my current situation for the rest of my career...promotions or no. The Chaplain quite gently put it into perspective for me though; "when God calls, there is only one answer" he said. I think God was placing those specific word at the exact right time because what popped into my head was from Isaiah 6:8 which says "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" If you know anything of my life since surrendering to Christ you know that these words resound so true in my family. We are a family shaped by God's calling. Every time I, as my family's leader, have responded in my heart with "Here am I Lord. Send me!" He has lead us nowhere but into glory. And now, who knows but Him.
I think it is shaping up to be an exciting, tiring, stressful, wonderful year for both me and my family.
Wendy - You are welcome. I consider it my pleasure, and my duty, to be there for him the same as others have been there for me. What else can I do but love you both.
All - thank you for the comments left here. I may not respond to them all but know that I read them all and they consistently bring a smile to my face whether you mean them to or not. Thank you for the continued prayer and the Godly love and provision you are showing my family in my absence.

4 comments:

  1. My wonderful DH is in Iraq, too. Just wanted you to know that you -- and your fellow servicemen/women -- are in my daily thoughts and prayers.

    MOLLY FROM CALIFORNIA

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post my Love. Worth waiting for. I love reading your words, and your thoughts. I just love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...what a call! I have thought all along that your true mission there is not to play in the band, but to bring spiritual life to those who have none and support those who do know Jesus already. God has you right where He wants you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Justin,

    So very happy to hear from you again! Ed and I pray for you and your wonderful family so often.

    Our son is pastoring his first church, and attending Seminary as well. Where God calls he provides--Always!

    God Bless,

    Kate and Ed.

    BTW---love your Freebird plans! LOL

    ReplyDelete