04 May 2008

My Last Sunday @ NCF for 15 months...or so

Today was my last Sunday at NCF until I get back from Iraq. We had a great time praising our God together as a family. The kids were largely unimpressed (or perhaps unaware) that this would be my last Sunday with them, they really just wanted to be with their friends.
The message was about parenting...really about realizing that no matter what we try to do God will have His will through our children, as well as through us.
At the end of the sermon the pastor called up Sandy and I to pray over us as we face this deployment...no problem, infact it's a very biblical principal? I appreciated the sentiment of his proposal as he had the entire congregation "celebrate" my service after the prayer. No problem there either...if it was someone worthy of the celebration. Facing only my first deployment, and as a Bandsman at that, I felt extremely inadequate and undeserving as I stood before a congregation of soldiers who have served multiple times in both Afghanistan AND Iraq as they stood applauding me. This is to say nothing about the pastor as I realize that he loves us and just wanted to let us know that we have support and that we are appreciated.
I am not sure what I am really trying to say, just that I am pretty sure I have some insecurities to work through.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, it's Stina...from high school...you know...the really super cool drum major your junior year? Yeah, that was totally me (and no, that is not a look of shame on my husbands face...it's pride...can't you tell? lol).

    Was reading Sandy's blog and she pointed out that you have one now. You all are in our prayers and we wish you a safe return home. We look forward to reading about your experiences and want you to know that you have our complete support. We are very proud of you and your family and appreciate you serving our country.

    My husband is ARNG here and when he left for Basic and AIT, I bought our home. He had never even seen it. hahaha. lol. Heavenly Father does have good timing, doesn't He? My husband is going to be gone for a bit starting at the end of the year and I told him that I should sell the house while he is gone since that is the only way I'll be able to keep it clean. Ha!

    God speed!

    Stina & fam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am an online friend of your wife's...she's really special! I've been praying for your family as you will be gone. Thanks for your service and your sacrifice! It is no little thing! I'll be looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. joyfulnotes-thank you for the encouragement. It does not go unappreciated.

    Stina-I remember you and have been keeping up with you through Sandy and her blog...hopefully this blog will become a regular thing for me even after I get back. Seems to be a good resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know once again that I am praying for you, bro. I'm looking forward to getting our "Knowing God" on once you are settled.

    ReplyDelete